Thursday, January 9, 2014

Princess in Preschool

My Princess.....where to begin?  She really has grown so much since September.  Princess celebrated her third birthday in September. I am finally starting to see the end of that "Terrible Two" phase.  :)
Princess on her third birthday with her birthday present.
Her language skill have developed so much. She is able to clearly communicate her desires and needs.  In fact the other day, we were talking about letters and the sounds they make. She was having trouble remember one of the letters. Instead of just saying "I don't know" like she usually does, she said, "I need to think about it, Mama."  That is a huge step for her! 


She has learned so much in the last few months.  When we started school, she could barely name all of her colors and really struggled with shapes.  She can now name all of her colors. She knows all the basic shapes (square, circle, triangle, rectangle, star, diamond, and oval.) She has been learning the names of letters and the sounds they make.  She is better at naming the sound of a letter than she is at remember its name.  But I take that!  That should make reading a whole bunch easier for her when we start to tackle that.  (She is really interested in learning to read. She will often sit with Banana Bear and mimic her while we do reading lessons.)

Her math and counting skills have taken off!  My little girl who used to struggle to count more than three objects, can now count and graph up to ten objects!  It amazes me how much a little brain can grow in such a short period of time! 


Princess has presented me with a unique set of challenges.  The first being that she is ambidextrous.  And if she is not ambidextrous, she is a lefty-trapped in a right handed world and can't decide how to proceed with that, and therefore has decided it is best to use both hands!   And while this skill is a huge advantage to her, I have a really hard time with it.  I am right-handed, strictly!  And so her constant back and forth of hand use while trying to help her build handwriting and scissor skills is an incredibly difficult processes for my brain.  It definitely requires me to concentrate!  :) 


I have learned that because of her handedness (or lack thereof!) also means that her brain is wired differently than mine.  Princess processes her surroundings much differently than I do.  This is also a great asset to her!  She is quite the little problem solver, and seems to have an innate understanding of math concepts!  It just takes me a bit longer to figure how she is seeing a problem or situation. 


Princess is my princess.  She is an attention seeker and loves cuddles!  (Which is a good thing because she is the middle child, and anyone who is the middle child or has a middle child, knows how they can inadvertently get left out--she reminds me she needs me if she been left out too much lately.  I'm definitely not a perfect parent!)  But she is also independent, and loves to do her own thing!  It should be interesting as the next few years progress, and we start kindergarten with her.  That very independent, I'll do as I want nature, may provide a difficult challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment