Monday, January 27, 2014

The Letter G: Part 1

Last week we finished up our Gg-Goats unit.  I thought I would share a review of what we did during this unit. Because it was six days' worth of learning, I am going to break this up into two posts! We really did have a great time learning.

On the first day, I introduced the letter G and the sound it makes.  This is review for Banana Bear, but it really helps Princess out.  After introducing the letter and the sound, I give the girls textured letters from our letter puzzle.  Banana Bear tells me the sound each letter makes and tells me a word that starts with each letter.  For Princess, I name the sound and she gives me the appropriate letter.

Lil' Man appears very interested.  Maybe he's learning by osmosis! ;)

After I introduced the sound, Banana Bear worked on her picture cards.  These cards are part of her My Father's World Curriculum.  After she colored all her pictures, she cut them out and glued the letter to an envelope.  Then she says the name of each picture, the sound it starts with and traces the textured letter with her finger.  One of the sentences she did for the letter G unit was "Grass starts with /g/." Then she traced the letter g with her index finger as if she were writing it. 

Banana Bear coloring her picture cards.
While Banana Bear worked on her picture cards, Princess colored a worksheet with the letter G and three pictures of things that start with the letter G.  

Here, notice Princess coloring with her left hand.

Princess also did a dry erase sheet tracing the letter G while Banana Bear made letter G's in a container of salt. 

And here, notice her writing with her right hand.  It makes my head spin!


My girls love tactile experiences, and this little salt container is one of their favorite things to get out and practice making letters in!



One of Princess's favorite things to do each unit is a size sorting activity!  For our G unit, she got to cut out gumball machines of various sizes and put them in order from smallest to largest.


And that was all in the first day! We did so much more, and I can't wait to share it with you in my next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment