Sunday, January 12, 2014

Banana Bear's Kindergarten

It seems like just yesterday we started this adventure in homeschooling.  And while we haven't been doing this for that long at all, the fears and concerns that I had when we started have dissipated.  My fears and concerns have been replaced by seeing first-hand the benefits of homeschooling.  And all thanks to Banana Bear starting to Kindergarten.
Banana Bear in September 


I'll admit, the first few weeks of homeschooling was a difficult adjustment for myself and Banana Bear.  I heard a lot of things like "But that's not how we did it in 4K."  Or "Ms. Tania (her 4K teacher) did it this way."  Honestly, I think Banana Bear believed homeschooling meant she was going to get to hang out in her room and play My Little Pony all day long!  Thankfully, we both adjusted to our new routine!

One of the greatest joys that has come to me through homeschooling is getting to build my relationship with Banana Bear and her siblings.  Banana Bear and I are both very strong willed, and we don't always see eye-to-eye.  She has always been closer to her Daddy, and that is something that, though hard to admit, has always made me a little jealous.  However, because of homeschooling our relationship has grown tremendously! We have grown so much closer in the last four months, and that brings such joy to my heart!

Banana Bear has also built her relationship with her siblings.  She used to fight with Princess all the time. There was constantly bickering and battling.  Now, the two of them can often play for hours peacefully. Don't get me wrong, they still have their days where they fight constantly.  Banana Bear has learned how to deal with the disagreement and solve the conflict.

Banana Bear has also learned to read.  And while this is a typical accomplishment for a Kindergartner, there is something strangely awesome about this accomplishment when it's you teaching your child this skill.  Let me compare it to this: For anyone who has children, do you remember that pride you felt for your baby when he took his first steps?  You were elated and you were in awe!  That's exactly how it felt the first time I heard Banana Bear read a book.  She had no idea I was listening, but I could hear her reading to her little sister.  I knew all the hard work we were doing was paying off.
Banana Bear at Christmas time

Now, of course we still have a long road in front of us.  We aren't even a full year into our homeschool experience.  I'm sure there will be many, many more challenges.  But I can't wait to see how much more Banana Bear grows!

No comments:

Post a Comment