Monday, January 13, 2014

The Week Ahead

It's Monday, and time to start another week!  I thought I'd share some of the things we are going to be tackling during the course of the week.

We are going to be finishing up our unit on the letter "I" and insects today.  One of the activities scheduled in our curriculum is a bug hunt.  However, being the middle of winter, we are swapping that activity for some bug math.  I have created some word problems, and Banana Bear can act them out with raisins (the bugs, you know!)  And of course that will end in eating the bugs, which is super awesome if you are a kid. 

The last day of a unit always has a fun activity planned to go along with a story.  Today we are going to read "The Bee Tree."  We are going to make baking powder biscuits, and serve them with honey and tee.  I think the Banana Bear and Princess will really enjoy our little tea party, though I'm not sure if they will actually enjoy the tea!

On Tuesday, we will be starting a new unit.  We will be learning about the letter "G" and goats.  Each unit has "Words to Remember," which is Biblical theme that unit focuses on.  Our words for this unit are "Jesus died for my sins."  My Father's World tied these words to goats because goats were used to for sacrifices during the Old Testament, but Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice to God.

One of the activities I think Banana Bear is really going to enjoy this week is making stick puppets of farm animals.  She loves making stick puppets, so I really think she is going to enjoy this activity and acting out "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" with stick puppets! 

We are also participating in a reading contest for the next seven weeks! Our public library has a winter reading contest that Banana Bear and Princess are participating in.  By reading books, they can earn "Dragon Dollars." Their Dragon Dollars can be used to buy prizes.  I have challenged the girls to earn a Dragon Dollar a day.  For their age group, this means reading (or listening to) nine books each day.  I think I have set myself up a challenge!

That's a look ahead at our week!  What does your week look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment