Thursday, January 16, 2014

An Ant Hill

There are ants in my kitchen.  They are making a home.  And I am not freaking out!







Actually, I did freak out a little bit when the ants came, and I had to dump them from the little vial the arrived in into the Ant Hill.  I knew that I had gotten every single ant into the hill, but I couldn't get the creepy-crawly feeling off of my skin. 

But Banana Bear and Princess have been so excited to have this little ant farm.  Though their excitement has dwindled from the first twenty-four hours of having the Ant Hill, they still spend a good deal of time looking at it every single day.  They are always amazed to see the work the ants have done since the last time they looked.


This little Ant Hill has been a great teaching tool to solidify all that we learned about insects during our last unit!  The night the ants arrived, Banana Bear was rattling off insect facts to her daddy.

"Daddy, did you know all those ants are girls? They are worker ants, and the workers are all girls!"

"Daddy, the ants are insects.  They have six legs and three body parts!"

"They have a head, a thorax, and an abdomen."

Even last night, Princess exclaimed, "Daddy, the ants are all girls!"  (She picks a lot up from her big sister!)

I am so glad that this Ant Hill was included in our kindergarten curriculum.  The girls have had so much fun with it, and it has help to reinforce all that they learned during our last unit!








No comments:

Post a Comment